Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority (RCAA)
Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority (RCAA) is the national aviation authority of the Republic of Rwanda. RCAA is affiliated to the Ministry of Infrastructure. RCAA was mandated to regulate and oversee all aspects of civil aviation. In the past, the institution has undergone legal reforms which have greatly impacted the execution of its operations in ensuring safety, security and infrastructural development.
Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority is governed by the Law No53/2011 of 14/12/2011 establishing Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority (RCAA), and determining its mission, organization and functioning. Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority is governed by the Law No53/2011 of 14/12/2011 establishing Rwanda Civil Aviation Authority (RCAA), and determining its mission, organization and functioning.
The main functions of RCAA include:
- To inspect and foster the safe development of civil aviation in Rwanda;
- To advise and assist the Government in its dealings with the International Civil Aviation Organization;
- To represent internationally Rwanda as the national authority in respect of matters relating to civil aviation;
- To control and maintain its airports and to provide such necessary services;
- To provide air traffic control service, flight information service and Rwanda Aeronautical information service of Rwanda;
- To provide and co-ordinate activities of search and rescue services to aircraft in distress in Rwanda airspace;
- To provide adequate firefighting and rescue services and facilities to airports;
- To provide emergency aid services in case of aircraft accident, among others;
- To collaborate with other government agencies in ensuring the safety of aircrafts and passengers; and
- To establish relations and collaborate with other regional and international institutions with similar missions.